Sep 26, 2017 Last Updated 2:37 PM, Apr 10, 2017

Army To Save Naads Funds – President

  • Dec 18, 2014
Published in National

President Yoweri Museveni has disclosed that only sh95b out of the sh200b that the Government has been releasing annually to benefit farmers under the National Agricultural and Advisory Services (NAADS) programme was used to purchase seedlings. He said the rest was being mismanaged by civil servants in various districts all over the country.

“The purpose of involving the army to take lead in the NAADS implementation is to save the farmers from the misappropriation of the funds and to save the people of Uganda,” the President said on Wednesday at State House, Entebbe.

 

He was addressing about 300 army officers recently recruited to monitor the NAADS programme in all districts of Uganda under the Operation Wealth Creation (OWC) aimed at improving household incomes. A total of 287 of these officers recently completed a course conducted by Makerere University College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. The officers were trained in record keeping, marketing, crop and animal production, agricultural engineering and post-harvest technology.

OWC, a presidential initiative started in July 2013 targeting army veterans in Luwero Triangle, is headed by senior presidential advisor for defence and security Gen. Caleb Akandwanaho (Salim Saleh), who is deputised by Brig. Prosicovia Nalweyiso.

Museveni told the meeting that his office had established that only 40% of the NAADS funds were being used to implement the programme’s objectives with the remaining 60% being mismsnsged by civil servants.

Find Us on Facebook